Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Resistance Building

It has been a couple of weeks since I unrolled my mat and had a focused yoga practice. A lot has changed in the last couple of weeks. I got engaged, turned thirty, had a visit from my brother, traveled to Colorado for a wedding, and began studying for a college entrance exam. Like I said, I had a lot going on.

My practice, except for a few stretches here or there, fell to the way side. I began to feel more and more out of balance. Along with the imbalance came more and more resistance to practicing. That resistance began to grow in my body and my mind. Instead of saying "yes I need yoga right now" there were negative thoughts and excuses as to why I couldn't practice.

I forced myself on to my mat this morning. I would love to say that the resistance melted away quickly, but it didn't. It's amazing how much stiffness can build in your body in a few weeks. I realized quickly that I had not really integrated the big changes I went through on the physical level. I worked through the practice, fighting it most the way, and when I finished had a energetic sort of euphorbia going on. Ahh... release! Release of the tightness in my body, release of the negative patterns running through my mind, and release of resistance. This is what centered feels like! I'm back.

1 comment:

  1. Yep, it seems a lot of life is about self-discipline in one form or another. Good for you for pushing through it :)

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete