Monday, March 28, 2011

Catchup - Days 11-14

I'm a bit behind on my blogging since I caught a nasty cold. Days 11-14 included a hostile take over of my body by germs. They came in with a vengeance and are not leaving without a fight. Other than some very gentle stretching, yoga has not been a priority.

I'm always fascinated by illness. There are a lot of metaphysical books linking illness to mental and emotional symptoms. In other words, saying that illness is the physical manifestation of mental and emotional distress. While I believe that this is true, I don't believe it is clear cut as some people say it is. I think that there can also be external factors that play a part in it.

I think there are three possible explanations for my illness this week.
  1. I've been doing a lot of yoga. I fully believe that yoga clears old emotions from my body. It could be that all of the clearing needed a physical expression to fully release. I've had this happen a few times before. It feels like in some way the fever is burning out the old habits that no longer serve me.
  2. Another theory that I've been thinking about is Japan. I know right? Japan is so far away how could that be affecting us physically? Well, thanks to Facebook, I've noticed a lot of other people are sick right now. It's like a massive illness, in the form of a cold, has rapidly spread throughout our country. While it could just be spring colds (see below) it could also be a sign that all of us are connected; that the tragedy and tremendous loss in one part of the world is being physically processed by people in other parts of the world. I wish there was a way to research this. I would be interested to see if more people are sick this year than usual.
  3. Spring cleaning. It seems like lots of people get colds during the spring. I could be a spring cleaning for the body; out with the old, preparation for the new.
Since I'm not working right now I was lucky enough to be able to stop and completely relax and let this illness run it's course. In the past I've usually try to fight through it. Go to work so I don't create guilt by staying home sick. Etc., Etc. It was great to be able to just feel 100% crapy and hide from everything for a few days. Thanks to my amazing man for his help and care during this time.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting.

    I have always thought there was some kind of cause and effect type relationship between illness in our bodies and problems within or mental/spiritual health and the health of the world in general. I think it comes down to the fact that we are all interconnected in one way or another and when one domino falls, it ends up knocking into another one somewhere and so on and so forth.

    I've been reading about thought-forms lately and their influence on people individually and in groups/worldwide. It's intriguing for sure.

    Hope you feel better soon :)

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete