Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Day #16 - Choose Wisely

Today I found my musical yoga groove with some new music I purchased from iTunes. I highly recommend Rare Elements from Ustad Sultan Khan. It will get your body moving and grooving! LOVE IT.

My physical yoga groove, however, was a bit illusive today. I'm still not feeling 100% so I decided to go easy on the yoga practice. I choose a 20 minute flow from Shiva Rea's Daily Energy DVD. The flow I picked was called Shanti, which means peace. I watched it on fast forward before I choose it and I looked perfect for a relaxing/recovering practice. I was wrong. For my body, today, it might as well of been titled War.

My body seemed to be fighting every pose. Hip openers like pigeon (here's a great instructional video on how to do pigeon) were like torture. Although the sequence was beautiful, and should have been very calming and relaxing, it was a struggle for me to even finish. When I was done I felt drained instead of energized.

This is another perfect example of not listening to what my body truly needed. When I started the DVD with an energizing, or solar, warm up my body was loving it. However, when I switched to the lunar, or passive, flow it felt all wrong. By trying to protect myself from overdoing it I created unnecessary struggle.

No comments:

Post a Comment