Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Working Out

I am always surprised at the absence of stretching and yoga at organized gyms. I joined a gym this week to help me train for a run that we are doing next month. The membership came with one free personal training session. The trainer had me do various activities for about 30 minutes, gave me the talk about how personal training can help, and that was it. No stretching? Was I missing something?

My body aches for yoga after working out. An exercise session doesn't feel complete without it. My muscles long to be relaxed and integrated after my work out. So why is it that Americans separate working out and yoga so much? What are our bodies gaining by this? Do we all long to become muscle bound and inflexible? Is that what our society teaches is good, sexy, and strong? Why do Americans seem to gravitate towards the microcosm and completely ignore the macrocosm?

1 comment:

  1. I concur. Stretching is a MUST for me after every workout. I don't know about you, but I am extremely flexible ( loose joints?) and without stretching afterward, I feel all tight and pent up...

    ReplyDelete